Wednesday, September 25, 2024

Like a Dragon Ishin!, Fate/Samurai Remnant rather than Assassin's Creed Shadows

 Maybe, from my name you can guess that I'm Japanese.  I'm fairly traditional in my likes and dislikes but I treat everyone with respect from the start.  Only the other person can reduce the respect I feel for them.

Ubisoft just pulled out of the Tokyo Game Show 2024, due to controversy over Assassin's Creed Shadows in Japan.

I have:

  • Assassin's Creed: Syndicate
  • Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China
  • Assassin's Creed Unity

All of the Assassin's Creed games are boring to me.  Technically, they're well made but they could be churned out of the same game generator with different artwork.  Most of Ubisoft's games are similar.  I read someone's comment that the games have no soul.  They don't seem to lend any emotional attachment that I can see.

I wanted Shadows because it's the first one of that series on Mac.  Macs have had enough power for quite a few of the Ubisoft games but they didn't want to spend the money.  It's understandable.

I don't know every detail about the controversy but sticking to typical Japan from hundreds of years ago would be appreciated.  Apparently, they didn't care to do that.  Japan had enough trouble from Westerners hundreds of years ago.  Why create more?  Many tourists don't have respect, so why should a games company?

I saw a deal on Like a Dragon Ishin! Deluxe Edition, which puts you in the role of a Sakamoto, something I can handle most days.  For US$20 instead of US$60, I was quick to buy.  That was quicker than the uncertain man with his head bouncing down the castle stairs.

The really good thing is that it is certified for Steam Deck, which means it probably works well with some tweaking.  I wonder how the new processors from AMD will be next year.  I hope Valve is already designing for an upgraded Steam Deck with a Van Gogh replacement and OLED technology.  The current one I have is fine for many situations, but there are times when it drops because where it should be and I have to be patient.

Anyway, if you haven't heard of gameplanet.com, you're like me.  I've been shopping Steam, Humble Bundle, and Fanatical.  I finally took the Mac Game Store off my Mac.  Game Planet works with ASUS, which is my Windows 11 machine.

Update 2024.09.28: I just did something crazy.  I bought another samurai-era game: Fate/Samurai Remnant.  It's a Koei Tecmo game.  They're big on preserving a sense of history and they've been making huge games about old times in Asia, especially Three Kingdoms games.  I'm sure I saw that the latest was number 14 (XIV) just today.  In any case, I bought the Deluxe Edition for about US$49 instead of US$100.  When I see anything over $40, I have to think a while.  The credit union wanted me to think a while, as well, and asked me if I was really buying it.  I am concerned about fraud because my $10 Walmart gift card was used a couple of weeks ago about 40 miles from here.

When I started it, I started the Japanese version and it reminded me so much of being in Japan, I almost came to tears.  Sadly, I've been in the U.S.A. so long, my ability to read Japanese quickly is less than it needs to be.  Narration was amazing.

Also sadly, until now, I've never met a game that didn't use the Escape key to interrupt things and show an option for the menu or title screen.  Right-mouse button was unexpected.

I need to dedicate some time to playing both games.

No comments:

Post a Comment