Thursday, August 8, 2024

Quitting Black Clover mobile game after 8 months

Here I am halfway through account level 25, trying to figure out how to complete this blog entry about the game.  I guess thing I should be saying is that I'm tired of the frustration and will remove the game.

I haven't had much luck upgrading equipment, as the game will take gear at level 4 and waste 11 of 12 upgrade pieces.  Enchanting gear takes pieces that don't seem possible to find.  I've used the boxes of such pieces and they seem to give the same pieces I have every time.  This makes me feel that I will get the same result if I buy (with real money) the premium boxes.  I was lucky enough to enchant gear 1 time.

Black Clover (Clover being used in Japan and elsewhere for the card suit Club) is an anime that's been used as a basis for a mobile game.  I'd never seen anything of it until I'd downloaded the game.  Tower of God: New World is another game of similar circumstances that I'm playing.

Many of my characters are at level 15--maximum, several of those are LR.  I have some UR and SSR gear but it has barely got the four-player team to over 150,000.

I read someone's experience of using the original beta test game and that it was possible to finish the story in a week.  I looked at the chapters as I finished chapter 4 and there were a total of 10 chapters.  Maybe, it's possible to go more quickly if you spend money.  I haven't.  I also get the feeling that since he had an early version there was less to finish.

Now, the problem I'm seeing is that my characters are under-powered compared to the enemies in chapter 5.  So far, they've been victorious but the difference in power has been about 5000 and suddenly, it's 10,000. More recently, against the final underwater mage, I'm about 5000 over the requirement and still can't win.

How to organize

If I remember correctly, I started with Asta and Yuno.  Then, they give you a few other characters and if you're lucky, you will get an SSR level of character.  I was using Nebra Silva (SR) and Charlotte Roselei (SSR) as the other two on my team.

Right now, Asta and Yuno are both at LR level.  I'm also using William Vangeance (SSR to LR), Fuegoleon Vermillion (SSR to LR), and Charlotte Roselei (SSR to LR) on my team with Asta.  I've switched things around a bit for the task.

I also got Rades Spirito, Vetto, Sally, and (Costume Party) Charmy Pappitson starting out as SSR.  I have many SR characters and too many R characters.  I've been trying to bind the personal (those that have the same character) skill pages to the correct characters but everything is so tiny, it's difficult to see, especially with so many Silva family characters.

With an overload of those skill pages, you can enhance them to 5 levels.  (This is like Light Cones in Honkai: Star Rail or Weapons in Genshin Impact.)  Then, I found that I could bundle those that were extra, through Inventory, and Sell them.  My first thought was "What if no one wants to buy them?" and that's not a problem.  They're not up for anyone else to buy.

Around 1 a.m. Pacific Time (PST), a new day starts for the game.  I'm not sure why.  I've got three games from one Korean publisher and two change days at 4 p.m. and the other at 9 p.m.  Regardless, pick up the free items, summon once for free, and collect Asta's income.

From what I can tell, if you can find enough SR mage pieces, you can upgrade your SR characters to SSR once they reach Bond level 1.  You can upgrade them again, to UR, at Bond level 6, and to LR at Bond level 10.  Even if you don't have any SSR characters, you can end up with high ranking characters.  You can tell the characters original ranking by the color of the label in the character list because it doesn't change.  Finding the mage pieces is not easy, although some show up as you reach higher Bond Levels.  Since four are necessary for one character, you must choose carefully which character will ascend to the top.

 How to increase power

I've been using Normal Challenges to elevate my characters' power, specifically Evergreen Forest and Bond Patrol.  At the top, I've got one character at Bond Level 13 and three others at Bond Level 10.  They're all LR characters now.

I've been switching back and forth with the lower level characters to fight in Evergreen Forest for potions in order to raise their Bond Level, since they're not powerful enough for Bond Patrol yet.  If you use those Clear Tickets you've been getting for free, you can zoom through the level again and again.

My account level is Rank 17 and I've just (2024.03.07) completed Chapter 4.  It feels as though I've just begun to make progress.  It's 2024.03.12 and I'm at Rank 21, a few steps into Chapter 5.  It's 2024.08.08 and I'm now halfway through account level 25, as it's been for months.

I've got to believe that I would have gone further and faster if I had concentrated on raising the Bond Level more quickly for more carefully chosen characters.  I wasted gold on combining R characters, but fully equipped, they're no match, until you turn them into SSR or higher rank, if that is even possible.

I have made progress with characters but no matter, I'm stuck.  It's better than I quit now.  The frustration is so much, and I have many other games (without much frustration) that make more sense to play.

No comments:

Post a Comment