Monday, June 24, 2013

Are you confused about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera?

I'm a little shocked at some of the searches that have led to my blog entries.  If you're trying to compare the Nikon D600 or Nikon D300 to the Pocket Cinema Camera, you're way off.  It's not a stills camera.

If you're interesting in making films (motion pictures), it looks a good starting device.  For the price, you could buy a couple and lenses, of course, and start your fledgling (amateur) film studio.

Is the Super 16 sensor big enough?  For beginners, I'm sure it is.  For those in the business who want a more personal look to their work without making it look craptacular, I'm sure it's a good size.  You could use it on the street without attracting undue attention.  For those who are saying "but it's not full frame!", you don't understand about film or video at the moment.  Here is a fact: 4K video can be shot on a small sensor because it's 3840x2160 resolution.  That's not huge.

So, if you're looking for a stills (or even a hybrid stills/video) camera, the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera isn't likely for you.  Go buy a Panasonic GH3 for a great hybrid camera body at a similar price.  If you want a great stills camera with a bit of video, buy a Nikon D7100.

Update 2014.03.02: I still haven't done enough video to warrant buying the Pocket Cinema Camera.  I want to do some serious video work, but until I'm past the basics, and my GH3 will get me way past the basics.  I still feel that the PCC would be great to capture documentary type footage for high school athletes to show their skills to potential recruiters.  Most parents use some inexpensive video camera which doesn't do a great job, and then, they use the cheapest editing software that they can find.  Building a multi-camera portfolio for an athlete through high school would be an amazing way to introduce that athlete.

No comments:

Post a Comment