Saturday, June 29, 2013

Madonna of the Trail: Statue of The Pioneer Woman

There are twelve of these statues that were commissioned by the Daughters of the American Revolution.  I've been near several of them and did not know that they were there, save one which I saw once a week.  I've taken it upon myself to photograph several of these and I have been to seven locations in seven states
.
Springfield, Ohio
Beallsville, Pennsylvania
Wheeling, West Virginia
Richmond, Indiana
Vandalia, Illinois
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Springerville, Arizona


Upland, California



They depict the struggles of the pioneer women as they crossed the fledgling country with no highways.

Update 2016.04.23: I photographed the statue in Upland, California on February 1, 2015, but I forgot to update this blog entry until now.  I also tried to find the one in Maryland, but the location I had was the preliminary location and it was changed to be closer to Washington, DC.  However, this gave me the opportunity to see the starting point of the National Trail instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment