Saturday, August 11, 2012

Google Nexus 7 tablet impressions

A few weeks ago, around the 8th or 9th of July, I had the ticket in my hand to buy one of these.  Sam's Club had the 16 GB tablets and I took the last ticket for a walk.

US$249.99 seems a deal for a powerful tablet with a 1280x800 display, even if it doesn't have a card slot for external storage.  The 8 GB is too expensive at its current price, as it doesn't have enough storage available to the user.

I tried one of these on Friday at another Sam's Club and I was impressed.  Unlike previous tablets with Android, it had good hardware and good software, apparently.  It made me feel that it wasn't rushed to market, although some reports would suggest physical problems.

I still don't really care for the long and thin shape, but it was heavy enough that it might stay in my hand, even if it did feel a bit awkward.  When Apple's 7.85 inch tablet arrives, it's in for a big test against the Nexus 7.  Will the extra visual space make a difference?  7.85 inches for a tablet sounds a good size to me.  Given recent revelations about the shape of the next iPhone, will the smaller iPad have a long and thin shape, as well?

Since I've got an iPhone 4S, I don't feel a particular need to have an iPad.  If all things are (fairly) equal, I think I'd end up with a Nexus 7.  If Apple does some extraordinary magic, I'll be surprised.  Since the iPhone 4, the iPod touch has been less wonderful than it had been in the past.  Sure, they upgraded it and enhanced it, but less so than iPhone whereas, it had been the other way prior to that generation, with better speeds and more storage.

Apple, of course, still has over 60 % of the tablet market, and hasn't deployed it in every country imaginable, nor have they deployed their app store, which definitely helps sell the product.

Google itself has brought something to market that's very desirable, through ASUS.

No comments:

Post a Comment